You are viewing this site as a guest. Please log in below or register to be able to post your comments and photos!
HRvarsity.com

Advanced Search for Guests
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Home > Forums > BASEBALL > Peninsula District Baseball > Bats

Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 AM

Bats

With all the talk of how pitching and talent is down in the pd this year and then two perfect games being thrown on the same day it seems pertinant to ask what type of impact the new bats are having on the game. Opinions? How big of an impact do the new bats seem to be having on teams hitting this year?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:19 PM

Re: Bats

A huge effect. Bloop singles have turned into routine pop ups. Potential doubles have turned into fly balls that die in the outfield. Hard ground balls turn into dribblers. Let's be honest, despite 2 perfect games this season, the district is weak. Name one power arm that can blow everyone away or a guy that can hit xbh every at-bat... There's no one I can name that has either one. Matheson will be a power arm by his senior year, no doubt, the kid's got talent. But, Im talking right now. New, watered down bats + weak district = less offense. Not many double digit games thus far.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
A huge effect. Bloop singles have turned into routine pop ups. Potential doubles have turned into fly balls that die in the outfield. Hard ground balls turn into dribblers. Let's be honest, despite 2 perfect games this season, the district is weak. Name one power arm that can blow everyone away or a guy that can hit xbh every at-bat... There's no one I can name that has either one. Matheson will be a power arm by his senior year, no doubt, the kid's got talent. But, Im talking right now. New, watered down bats + weak district = less offense. Not many double digit games thus far.
I agree there are no power arms that can blow everybody away but with all the great arms last year, kids were still getting the bat on the ball from the top 5 pitchers. I don't remember a whole lot of no hitters. And, I never have seen a guy that can get an xbh every at bat. Last I checked, the diameter of the bat hasn't changed and the pitching is obviously not as overpowering as last year.

Being that I watch all of the KHS games, I can tell you that they are hitting the ball far better than last year's team. They are disciplined batters and generally swing at good pitches. Very few strike outs and they are hitting with power in many games. 25 xbh's including 3 HR's, 4 triples and 18 doubles. I can say that if they were using last year's bats, they would have about 7 or 8 more HR's.

I like the BB Cores. It makes them play baseball. They are equivalent (supposedly)to wood bats with no trampoline effect.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHSBaseballFan View Post
I don't remember a whole lot of no hitters. And, I never have seen a guy that can get an xbh every at bat. Last I checked, the diameter of the bat hasn't changed and the pitching is obviously not as overpowering as last year.

Being that I watch all of the KHS games, I can tell you that they are hitting the ball far better than last year's team. They are disciplined batters and generally swing at good pitches. Very few strike outs and they are hitting with power in many games. 25 xbh's including 3 HR's, 4 triples and 18 doubles. I can say that if they were using last year's bats, they would have about 7 or 8 more HR's.
The reason you don't remember a lot of no-hitters last season was because 1) The district had better talent hitting-wise still. This year is a lot of young guys still learning and getting used to Varsity. KHS is hitting better this year.. of course. Why wouldn't they be? They've been lacking offense (besides Cave really) up until the very end of last year, and that's because their young guys are developing into good hitters now. 2) The bats. I know everyone is getting tired of the excuse, but really, if you look into the numbers, the bats do have a big effect on the game.

Review: More No-hitters this year = weaker hitters + weak bats + decent arms w/ control vs weaker hitters + ace pitcher throwing against weakest team in the region.... It all adds up.

Now, as for your comment about the size of the ball corresponding with xbh's, maybe you should look up the definition for "slight exaggeration." That's what I was doing in my last post when talking about "hitting one every AB." Of course no one can do that... duh.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
The reason you don't remember a lot of no-hitters last season was because 1) The district had better talent hitting-wise still. This year is a lot of young guys still learning and getting used to Varsity. KHS is hitting better this year.. of course. Why wouldn't they be? They've been lacking offense (besides Cave really) up until the very end of last year, and that's because their young guys are developing into good hitters now. 2) The bats. I know everyone is getting tired of the excuse, but really, if you look into the numbers, the bats do have a big effect on the game.

Review: More No-hitters this year = weaker hitters + weak bats + decent arms w/ control vs weaker hitters + ace pitcher throwing against weakest team in the region.... It all adds up.

Now, as for your comment about the size of the ball corresponding with xbh's, maybe you should look up the definition for "slight exaggeration." That's what I was doing in my last post when talking about "hitting one every AB." Of course no one can do that... duh.
I wasn't really trying to criticize your comments at all but disaggreeing with you about how the bats are affecting all hits. Dribblers with juiced bats are still dribblers. Pop ups are still pop ups, no matter what bat you are using. That's why I said the diameter of the 'bat' hasn't changed, not the 'ball'. I did agree that the power shots that may have carried out last year may not as easily this year. That said, Darnell Ware has added 2 more HR's, one versus Menchville last night and one today versus Denbigh.